Thursday, February 25, 2016

On Taking the Shot

At Oh Get a Grip, we're currently posting about "other skills." I wrote my piece about rock climbing, and how my risk-averse ways in that sport have given me insight into other ways that I'm risk averse in life:

Early on, one of my teachers commented on my incredible strength in the context of a bad habit. I have a way of going for dynamic moves without committing to them, catching and holding myself in awkward midair positions that take, he pointed out, way more muscle and skill than just going all in for the next hold. I've worked hard to break that habit, but it's still a real problem for me. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten to the almost-top of a bouldering route and just... not taken the last move. I've heard people groan in disappointment when I jumped off without even taking a shot.

You can read the whole thing here.

No comments:

Post a Comment