Sunday, February 26, 2012

Turn Off the TV So You Can Get Laid

TV gets blamed for lots of things--making us fat, keeping us from connecting with our families, and generally making us stupid. But only recently did it occur to me that it also gets in the way of getting laid.

Here's my evidence. In a previous, unhappy relationship, my partner and I watched seasons and seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Dr. Who, Quantum Leap, Firefly, and who knows what all. The big exciting thing was to come home to a new envelope from Netflix, or get a boxed set as a gift and work our way through it.

Sex felt like a big event, a thing that would take a long time. We'd have had to stay up late, or get dirty and have to shower or something--never mind that we'd be up late all the time watching movies.

I've taken an informal poll of a few friends and heard similar stories about Battlestar Galactica and Friday Night Lights and other super-long episodic shows.

What really made me notice, though, is that in the happier relationships I've had since then (which feature a whole lot more sex), I've watched barely any TV at all. And I love Joss Whedon and all, but I prefer sex, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment