Monday, June 20, 2011

Music Mondays: "Stronger" by Kanye West

"I don't know if you got a man or not, if you've made plans or not, if God put me in your plans or not. I'm trippin'--this drink got me saying a lot." -- Kanye West

I like the energy of Kanye West's Stronger. It drives hard while staying smooth. What's hot about this one to me is that the narrator's outburst about wanting this woman has been a long time coming. ("You know how long I've been on ya? Since Prince was on Apollonia, since OJ had isotoners--don't act like I never told you.")

More than a decade of desire explodes here. The narrator's decided tonight's the night, and he's coming for her, at the height of his power. The song builds, and the narrator convinces me that tension has building, and his talent has building. He's coming into his own, and that includes claiming the object of his desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment